Tessa's Blog

My two best friends and I are extreme book nerds. Especially for YA books. Since we are viewed as weird in the real world, we decided to go to the Internet, where everyone is weird. It has been going pretty well. Our original blog is Crazy for YA

Review | Just Pru by Anne Pfeffer

Just Pru - Anne Pfeffer

*Disclaimer*

I received this book from CBB Book Promotions to honestly review. This did not affect my opinion of the book in any way.

This is not just another book. Just Pru is one of my first forays into new adult and I liked what I read. For those of you who are wary of adult fiction, I will say that it was very clean and could pass for a YA book.

Just Pru navigated issues like depression, anxiety, and self-worth in a new and exciting way. This is the first time I got to see how a character can crawl out of her shell (or sleeping bag) and find a way to be themselves and make a mark on the world at the same time.

I felt as if I truly understood Pru and how her mind works. I could feel her fear and anxiety, but I could also feel her excitement and joy. I got to experience her first time living alone, free from her parents' influence. I got to see her life during the darkest and brightest times. I felt her loss and her happiness.

I love that I was able to connect with Pru on such a personal level.

The romance was subtle and allowed the tougher issues to take center stage. But it was still incredibly cute. Unfortunately, sweet and slow-building relationships like this one are not common in books anymore.

I also loved the secondary characters and the complexity they add to the plot and Pru's life. It is very rare that secondary characters are explored like in this book. They made me laugh countless times and made me hold back tears too.

The only negative that I have is the somewhat blunt writing style. Some of the paragraphs did not flow the way I normally like, and others seemed a little out of place, but those inconsistencies were minor compared to the inspiring plot.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to venture into the world of adult fiction. This is the perfect starter into that realm.

I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of what genre they like the most, who want to truly experience life through someone else's eyes. Also to anyone who wants to see how depression and anxiety really affect someone's life.

This review was originally posted on my main blog Crazy for YA.

Source: http://4evercrazyforya.blogspot.com/2015/02/blog-tour-just-pru-by-anne-pfeffer.html