Tessa's Blog

My two best friends and I are extreme book nerds. Especially for YA books. Since we are viewed as weird in the real world, we decided to go to the Internet, where everyone is weird. It has been going pretty well. Our original blog is Crazy for YA

Review | Gathering Frost by Kaitlyn Davis

Gathering Frost (Once Upon A Curse Book 1) - Kaitlyn Davis

*Disclaimer*

I received this book from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my rating of the book.

I have been on a fairy-tale kick lately, and Gathering Frost was the perfect book to curb my cravings.

It is supposed to be a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, but I think there are a few story lines mixed in.

Let's start at the beginning.

Two worlds collide and New York City is the first victim. Those who survive the initial earthquake are doomed to fall under the thrall of the new queen, including Jade, a girl who just learned how to ride a bike but now must face a world of magic and danger.

Flash forward ten years, and Jade has grown up. She has gotten used to the feeling of cold apathy that has taken a hold of her heart, and the hearts of the rest of the citizens of New York, ever since the queen took her throne.

As Jade struggles to remember what it is like to feel something, anything, she raises in the ranks of the queen's army. One day, she is tasked with the most important mission imaginable--retrieving the queen's lost son.

I loved the world-building of this novel. To me, it is one of the most important aspects of a retelling, and Davis nailed it. I loved the differences between the city we know and the one that was created in this novel. I could see the ruins of New York and the elegance of the castle that took residence in the center of a once alive city. The setting was vivid and captivating.

I also loved the characters. Even though Jade was cursed to feel no emotion, she fought against it to reveal her strong will and sarcasm. She was brave and sassy, which is the perfect formula for a great female lead character.

The secondary characters were deep, complex, and thoroughly lovable. Maddy balanced out Jade's harshness and added humor to the book. Asher was a breath of fresh air. Their struggles were real and they added a unique dimension to the plot.

The romance was sweet and slow-burning, but hot enough to melt even the hardest of hearts. It did not take over the book, but was given just the right amount of attention. Also, there were plenty of swoon-worthy moments that could make the Ice Queen herself smile.

The problem I had with the book was that it was labelled as a Sleeping Beauty retelling. Even though I can kind of see where that is coming from, this is more of a The Snow Queen retelling to me. (For those of you who do not know, The Snow Queen is the fairy-tale that Disney's Frozen is based on.)

Regardless of the label, I still loved the story.

I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Frozen, or just fairy-tale retellings in general, and fans of dystopian societies (this one reminded me a lot of Legend by Marie Lu).

If you are a die-hard fan of Sleeping Beauty, you should know that this is more of a retelling of The Snow Queen than Sleeping Beauty.

I give Gathering Frost by Kaitlyn Davis 5 out of 5 stars.

This review was originally posted on my main blog, Crazy for YA.

Source: http://4evercrazyforya.blogspot.com/2015/02/blog-tour-and-review-gathering-frost-by.html